Wednesday, April 29, 2009

WooHoo My question got answered!

I read a blog on the USAToday web site every day about travel. Its written by Ben Mutzabaugh and every Wednesday he has a chat around 1pm est. I've submitted questions many times and never got them answered-- until today. Today I submitted this:
Dave-Delaware OH: Ben, I have a bit over 60k skymiles and am itching to take a trip. Any suggestions? Been to Maui. Been to London. Been to Zurich. Thinking central Europe or some place exotic. Help me out. The wife turns 40 and I need to take her someplace.


And got this for an answer:
Ben Mutzabaugh: Sounds like a fun problem! I don't know if you were hoping to both travel for 60,000 miles, or to redeem for one ticket and buy another. You may not have enough miles for both for some destinations, so be sure to check that out. But, regardless of that ...

Personally, I'm a big fan of Berlin. I highly recommend it, especially if you like a city that can combine history, culture and some pretty exciting nightlife. Plus, it's pretty cheap compared to most other big European capital cities. Otherwise, Krakow is one city to consider. I've never been personally, but I've had at least a half dozen people rave to me recently about what an undiscovered gem it is. Something exotic? How about the Slovenian coast? Or, a little less exotic, but Florence is great for couples. And, another personal favorites of mine is Buenos Aires. The sites are not as fantastic as Paris or London, but -- if you just want to soak up some sophisticated cafe culture and urban ambiance -- I couldn't recommend a better place (especially with the exchange rate).

If you're just looking to burn miles, you could always consider the Caribbean. It's not one of my preferred regions, but lots of people enjoy it. And, I will say that Curacao and its colorful capital of Willemstad have always intrigued me.

And, as always, I bet our readers have some good advice to offer here. So, readers: Share your thoughts here (via Today in the Sky).

Some days you just get lucky I guess. BTW I earned those miles myself and I'm spending them on ME. I hope my wife does not mind sitting in coach by herself.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

His answer is a good one that covers a lot of ground (no pun intended) in a short time. One must be careful where they travel. An obvious clue I pay attention to are airports listed as below code or dangerous by travel agents. Have fun!

pamela yaeger said...

Listen little brother, take the woman to Croatia. Zagreb is a gorgeous and very Euro city, with chic women, neat buildings, tasty grub, and plenty of English speaking people. Then you go down the coast to Dubrovnik which was one of the most lovely places I've ever sunned this fat ass.

But seriously, COACH?