Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Whirlwind Tour-Columbus to Toronto to Niagara Falls and back to Cbus

Wow what a week. We took the kids up to Toronto for a few hockey games and some brief sightseeing. Frudoch was forced to be a defenseman for all 6 games in the series. 3 in Columbus in February and 3 up in Toronto. He has not been a defenseman for more than 2 years and for him the disappointment was huge. Despite being his father I can easily say he is by far the best player on this team and know that its not just being his biggest fan. For Freddy playing as a defenseman means goal scoring is much more difficult. It bothers me greatly that the coaches played their kids on the top line as forwards yet stuck my son on the 3rd defense line. It also frustrated the parents of his teammates too. I guess they didn't want to win. Harsh comments I know, but Freddy still led the team in shots despite playing the least amount of minutes of any player on any of the 4 teams. Think about that. I can't help it that he is good. Sitting him on the bench so he has to watch while his team struggles is harsh. Thats also what happens when you let "dads' play coach. I have had to go thru this scenario twice now in the last 2 weekends with both kids and frankly it's getting old.

In any case it was my first visit to Toronto and lets say the traffic is indeed legendary. The city is very cool and we enjoyed seeing a few sites including the Hockey Hall of Fame. We also took in a Toronto Marlies AHL game with a thrilling ending over the Abbotsford Heat. We then headed back down the road to Niagara Falls for an "off season" stop. Lets just say the place was pretty dead. Good thing too. $96 for dinner for 4 at IHOP. $130 at Outback Steakhouse. Man its pricey. Saw the falls although at 39 degrees and rainy it was tough. Now back home and trying to catch up on sleep.

All in all it was fun, but it could have been so much better if the hockey portion would have been fair. Poppy and I return in 2 weeks for a huge girls tournament. I can't believe I'm doing it again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're certainly a husband in motion, Davy! :)