Saturday, June 22, 2013

RIP Jane Wicker and Charlie Schwenker

Today we lost 2 GREAT people in a horrible crash at the Vectren Dayton Air Show. The scene is one that will be hard to forget. I was unable to go on Friday and watch practice and had prior engagements for today, but planned to go on Sunday. I will be staying home now. Its not just because they died. Today was a horrible day before they climbed into the Stearman Bi-Plane. On lap 3 of the 24 Hours of Lemans there was a terrible crash which claimed the life of Allan Simonsen. Later I learned of 2 more racing drivers that passed on tracks as well. Wolf Silvester at the Nuerbergring in Germany and Jeffrey Bower in an SCCA race at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. I didn't know any of the drivers, but we all shared a love of racing. I did have some contact with Jane Wicker and as the air show community is fairly small it hurt badly. Just one of those days where you need to just put things in perspective. Thats what I'll do Sunday.

I took this photo last September at the Cleveland Air Show. RIP.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heartbreaking...that's all I can think to write.