Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Keep Jim Day on FSN Ohio Blue Jackets Telecasts


Since the birth of the Columbus Blue Jackets one man has been there for televised games. As host of the broadcast he is able to set the tone and welcome the viewers to the greatest sport of all. Jim Day has done that and more in his time as host of the CBJ pre and post game shows. I did an on-air piece with Jim when he was sports anchor at WSYX many years ago. He had me make fun of his last name just for laughs. The guy loves sports and TV. The fact that he was broadcasting the best of all sports was awesome. That time has now ended because he called a loss "disappointing" and refused to stay mum on the trials and tribulations of the team FINALLY making the playoffs. Jim Day will still be working for FSN Ohio, but not the CBJ broadcasts. In a scene straight out of the Doug McLain years the current powers that be decided to mess with the broadcasters. Firing Danny Gare and moving Bill Davidge from the radio booth to the TV side. George Mathews was given only a 1 year extension while Jeff Rimer gets 3. Rimer after 4 years still has trouble remembering which team he is covering and his endless name dropping and self promotion have made me turn the sound off. George and Bill have been here since the beginning along with Jim Day and it kills me to see them be broken up. I've stood right up with the CBJ organization thru all the good and bad, but this messing with the broadcast teams is too much. Stick to what you know. Hockey.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/keepjimday/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel for him. I'll bet money his bosses have backgrounds as radio sales managers and coulnd;t even tell you what a "stop set" is. I came up from the bottom---the graveyard shift 12 AM to 6 AM for my first year. It was hell. But it's still the best way to learn. Today, the passion of broadcasting is all "bottom line" driven. That they object to his telling it like it is makes me shake my head. I wish the guy well. It's a business built on quick sand.