Monday, October 4, 2010

The Inside Job; Movie Trailers on HDNet

I'm not a big "indie" movie fan, but over the past few years with the help of HDNet and their 3 movie preview shows Nothing But Trailers, The Ultimate Trailer Show, and Trailerama I've seen quite a few trailers for small films that have for about 2 minutes captured my attention. While its rare that I will go to the theater itself and see a movie I have tracked down several of these films on DVD and also HBO/Shotime/Starz/The Movie Channel/Cinemax/Sundance and enjoyed them greatly. The trailer above is for a film called The Inside Job and I saw the trailer on HDNet (of course). The film opens this week in New York and next week in Los Angeles. While its doubtful it will come to good ole Columbus there is a great chance I'll catch it on DVD. From the trailer it looks good and while I am not going to get into a political discussion here the subject matter is interesting. The one caution I have is the media is a large part of the problem in our country and now we are to believe that the answers come from a film produced and distributed by a media conglomerate.... Perhaps a discussion for another day.

One sad point is last week on The Ultimate Trailer show the host, Robert Wilonsky announced that he is moving along. This saddens me as despite his obvious difference in political agendas from mine I trusted his film choices. While he repeatedly pointed out he had a face for print journalism and not TV, he managed to capture my attention for several years and I will miss his suggestions. High Definition TV was in its infancy when he came to the first full time HD channel and filled a niche with several hosting gigs. While so many people complain about the trailers at the start of a film he developed a television show dedicated to clips--2 minutes at a time. In fact HDNet now has 3 shows.... While I never met him I considered him a friend. I even sent a few emails for suggestions of old trailers and a few of them even showed up. Thanks Robert!

No comments: