Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Top Gear USA...Can it Live up to The Real Top Gear?

I'm a fan of the BBC program Top Gear. In fact my whole family watches including my kids who are now 10 and 12 and my wife who...shall we say does not watch much television devoted to automobiles. My kids have watched for more than 5 years and while at times the content is a bit inappropriate for them I think it flies over their heads. For years the only way to catch the show was in clip form on youtube or 'pirate' web sites that were quickly shut down. Thankfully BBC America started showing it several years ago here in the USA. I have always disliked the fact that we were several YEARS behind in what we were able to see here, but hey at least we had it. A couple years ago I discovered sites on the web devoted to web streaming and of course Top Gear was one of the shows that always had a stream. I finally was able to see complete episodes of all the years and frankly Top Gear has come a long long way. The hosts, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May have a way of interacting that is so seamless that you know at some level they don't actually have to act like they dislike each other. Sure they get along, but May is so weird that at times I can't stand to listen to him. Then there is The Stig. Will we have a version on TGU? I'm sure in some way we will, but to outright copy the original show will be...unoriginal? The producers have branched out with Top Gear Australia and now we finally see the oft promised Top Gear USA. I'll admit I don't like the idea of it. Not one bit. However, filming has begun and the first 'clip' has hit the web and for this 2 minutes it looks how should I say this....watchable. So my advice is if you really like Top Gear as I do you might want to check it out.

Now if we could get Speed Channel to bring back episode of England's "other" car show First Gear then my car fix would be complete.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Davy: Wow! I've never seen this show, but it looks exciting!!!