Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Crappy Days



Despite having more than 500 channels of Satellite TV pumped throughout my house it amazes me how many times I can't find something to watch. What happened to shows like CHiPs or Happy Days? BJ and the Bear was cool. Emergency kept me glued to the tele. Eight is Enough taught us all life lessons. One Day at a Time clued us in to the beauty of the non-traditional family (and Valerie Bertinelli). Kojak and Mannix and Jack Lord in Hawaii Five-0 kept us safe. The Streets of San Francisco were ultra hip. Steve Austin and Jamie Summers fought crime as the Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman (yeah Max too). The Dukes of Hazzard made country and Daisy Duke mainstream and the Theme from S.W.A.T kept us all bouncing. The Rookies learned the ropes while Charlies Angels dazzled us with their beauty. There are so many more shows that I could write for hours and still not name them all. My point is while not all were Emmy Award winning television shows they were original. TV and the movies are stuck in a rut. All we get are shows and movies that are just redone and recycled. I just don't go to the theatre anymore as nothing grabs me. In fact when I do go I like the trailers for the upcoming films best. On HDNET there's a show called Nothing But Trailers. Its as it says and I love it. The studios put the best parts of 95% of all movies in the trailer. I see the trailer and I'm good.

TV is worse off right now. The writers strike is not the problem. The writers are. The heyday of TV is long gone. The 70's produced great TV. Now all we have are reality shows and stupid game shows. The best show on TV today is not even made in the USA. That show is called Top Car and its from the UK. The problem is we get it 9 months after it was filmed. I'm thankful we get it at all on BBC America. So anyways here is to great TV. Its now available on DVD, but thanks to the great folks at Blockbuster allowing any fool to use my name and rent films I can't rent films from them now. So for now several of those programs I listed can be rented. Just not by me.

No comments: