Friday, March 7, 2008

No Mas


Just as Roberto Duran uttered those famous words in a fight against Ray Leonard many years ago I find them now rolling from my mouth. Is it yet another loss at home for the CBJ or yet another snowstorm? Initially it was all snowstorm, but after tonight's hopeless game its now easily both.

The game itself was yet another performance lacking passing efficiency and scoring save the Dan Fritsche score with 00:00.8 left in the third. Yes .8 seconds left and we tie it up and grab a point. Confidence was not high and soon thereafter Edmonton seemingly effortlessly dumped a shot in and another loss appears. 7 losses in a row at home. 4 regular losses to go with 3 OT losses. 11 points gone and never to be found. All this from a team that was second best in home winning before this "streak". Its safe to officially declare the chant is now "Bury the flag". When is the 2008 entry draft?

So on to the original topic of this blog entry--Yet another winter storm. This time we have even been granted elite status with an honest to goodness Blizzard Warning from the weather service! This is central Ohio so we expect to get a decent amount of snow each year. Typically we will get 20 to 30 inches spread out over 3 or 4 months. However, give us more than a couple tenths and the stores are overrun with people stocking up and the roads are filled with people slowing down a wee too much. I grew up in Wisconsin so snow is not that big a deal for me. I learned to drive in the winter weather in a Camaro Z-28 with no traction and it did not bother me. Today I have a Yukon with 4wd, but I usually leave it in 2wd as its more fun to fishtail and slide. My wife drives a Subaru--enough said. We can go out in any bad weather and get where we are going-eventually. Today though we started a 2 day marathon storm with a predicted total of 10 to 16 inches or more. Cool. Except this is storm number 10 or 11 this year. I'm sick of the snow and the blahs that go with it. I want some warmer weather. I'll settle for seasonal at this point. I'm sick of the snow. When will it end? To add to the misery we are not going anywhere for spring-break. I'll be taking my son to one more hockey tournament in that sought after locale of Wooster Ohio. Blah! Maybe I can get some $10 fares on Skybus to go somewhere in the morning and fly back in the evening. I just want to go somewhere. Anywhere. Just make it warm. We have plans for next year and they include the 50th state in the union. Particularly one island that I've developed a great fondness for. Maui. Oh how that sounds nice about now. To the Blizzard outside I say No Mas. Roberto, I know what you were thinking.

No comments: